Steyr might be best known for the Steyr AUG and various hunting and sporting rifles, but its pistols are worthy of consideration, too. Case in point: the S9-A1.
Chambered in 9mm, the Steyr S9-A1 is a subcompact model with a 3.6-inch barrel and the same OAL as the company’s C-A1, but with a shorter, ergonomic grip for added concealment. The gun also includes a low bore-axis for reduced recoil and more control; trapezoidal sights; integrated Picatinny rail for accessories; standard slide-lock thumb tab; right-handed magazine ejection button; and pivoting break-down lever.
Our friend Graham Baates recently received the S9-A1 in the mail for testing. He kicked off his test with a “Full Mag+1” basic reliability test. In the “What’s for Dinner?” part of the evaluation, he tests a variety of loads in the gun, starting at 165gr and going down to 65gr. Here’s what he ran through the S9-A1:
- 165gr FMJ brass-cased Freedom Munitions HUSH
- 147gr JHP brass-cased Remington HTP
- 125gr HAP lacquered-steel cased Hornady
- 124gr FMJ brass-cased American Eagle Suppressor
- 124gr BJHP nickel-plated brass-cased Remington Golden Saber
- 115gr FMJ aluminum-cased Federal
- 115gr FMJ steel-cased TulAmmo
- 115gr XTP brass-cased Hornady American Gunner
- 100gr RHVF brass-cased Fiocchi
- 94gr RHTA brass-cased Geco
- 90gr ZCFMJ Winchester Super Clean
- 65gr ZCFMJ Liberty Civil Trainer
Next, Maddy Reese of Oregon-based Threat Dynamics runs some rounds through the S9-A1 and offers her perspective. Lastly, Graham does a field accuracy test, shooting five rounds from seven yards out using Nosler Match Grade 124gr ammo.
Watch the full test of the Steyr S9-A1 above, and check out the specs below.
Steyr S9-A1 Specs
- Caliber: 9mm
- Magazine: 10+1
- Trigger: Reset Action (double action)
- Grip Frame: Synthetic Grip
- Dimensions: 6.8″x4.8″x1.3″
- Barrel Length: 3.6″
- Weight: 1.67 lbs
For more on Steyr, visit steyrarms.com.
“Graham Baates” is a pen name used by a 15-year active U.S. Army veteran who spent most of his time in the tactical side of the Intelligence community including tours in Afghanistan and Iraq. Post-Army, Graham spent some time in the 3-Gun circuit before becoming a full-time NRA Certified defensive handgun instructor and now works as an industry writer while curating a YouTube channel on the side.