XS Sights recently introduced its newest firearm accessory, the XS RAM Night Sights. The RAM Night Sights feature a three-dot tritium pattern for increased contrast in bright and low light conditions.
The RAM (radioactive material) night sights feature a blacked out rear sight. This increases contrast against the front sight, which comes in bright orange or green.
The front sight features XS’s proprietary Ember Glow Dot technology, which absorbs ambient light and glows in low light. The front tritium lamp in the RAM sight charges the Ember Glow Dot, making the front sight glow brighter than the rear, keeping one’s focus downrange.
“Our high-performance night sights are purpose driven tools fine-tuned for Law Enforcement use,” said Zack Kinsley, Marketing Manager for XS Sights. “Having our own tritium license has significantly strengthened our capabilities. We now test and use raw materials we didn’t have prior access to, resulting in broader and more advanced product offerings that ensure front sight visibility at all times.”
RAM Night Sights overcome three common issues with 3-dot tritium sights:
- The brightly colored Ember Glow Dot in the RAM front sight is a much brighter color which differentiates the front dot from the two rear dots.
- The 2-dot tritium rear sight glowing brighter than the front sight drawing the eyes there instead of towards the downrange threat.
- The Ember front sight is brighter than the rear tritium lamps.
- Tight sight pictures
- RAM Night Sights use a notch that is 15% wider than the front sight, allowing more visible light around the front sight. This makes it easier to see the front sight in changing light conditions and when shooting on the move, aiding in sight alignment and increasing accuracy.
Other key features include a rear sight overhang that reduces glare in bright light for greater sight definition. The anti-reflective rear tritium lenses also reduce glare in daylight while increasing contrast against the front sight. RAM sights also have a rear sight ledge to aid in one-handed slide manipulations, according to XS Sights.
As for color choice, the orange front sight contrasts best in bright light and the green glows best in low light; however, people see color differently and eyesight issues can affect which color performs best for each individual.
The steel RAM Night Sights are extremely durable and easy to install by hand or with a sight pusher tool, according to XS Sights. All tritium sights from XS are backed by a 10-year, No-Questions-Asked Warranty. Front blade width is 0.145” (3.68 mm) and the notch width is 0.170” (4.32 mm). While height varies by model, all models fit standard holster options.
- 17, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, & 36
- 20, 21, 29, 30, 37, 30S, 40, & 41
- 42, 43, 43X, & 48
- P225, P226, P228, P229, P320, SP2009 & SP2340
Smith and Wesson
- M&P Full-size & compact
- M&P Shield
- XD, XDM, & XDS
- FN 509
The sights retail between $100-$120, depending on the model. For more information, visit xssights.com.
Refined and upgraded in its design, with a 12+1 capacity the Smith & Wesson...
by Karen Hunter / Oct 9, 2019